Serves 3 p.
- 200 gr couscous
- Vegetable broth
- +/- 400 gr of mozzarella cheese
- 5 big tomatoes
- 1 big eggplant or 2 small ones
- 2 egg whites
- Red pesto
- Sunflower oil and/or olive oil
- Spices: Italian spices (basil, oregano, sage,…), salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Put the 200gr of couscous in a pot. Gradually add boiled vegetable broth to the couscous until it does not soak up the liquid anymore. Season with some Italian spices and let it cool down for about 5 minutes. Then add the 2 egg whites. Put the couscous in an oven tray an evenly divide it. Put it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes (until it sticks together).
- Slice the aubergine. Cover them with a bit of (olive) oil and season with pepper and salt. Grill them in a grill pan.
- Cut the mozzarella into medium slices (not to thick not to thin) and the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Take a small boil for the vinaigrette. Add some (sunflower) oil, salt & pepper, Italian herbs and a bit of red pesto. Mix it all together.
- Now it’s time to plate up all the ingredients: put the piece of ‘couscous pie’ on the bottom. Put the mozzarella on the couscous and cover it with some red pesto. Cover with the slices of eggplant. Top off with the tomatoes and the vinaigrette.
TIP: if you like some meat with it, veal is the best option. It fits perfectly with the Italian herbs.