– 175 gr butter
– 175 gr sugar
– 175 gr self-raising flour
– 1 tsp of baking powder
– pinch of salt
– 3 eggs
– 1 orange
– 100 ml of red wine
– 1/2 tsp of crunched star anise
– 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
– 8 cloves
– a bit of lemon soda
1. Pour the red wine in a cup. Add the star anise, cinnamoon and cloves. Put it in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
3. Put the sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix them together.
4. Add one egg at a time and mix them in the batter. It’s best to start using a mixer.
5. Add the baking powder and a pinch of salt.
6. Gradually add the flour while mixing.
7. Divide the batter in two bowls. Make sure they contain almost the same amount of batter.
8. The first bowl: add orange zest, a few tablespoons of orange juice and the pulp left after squizing the orange. To finalize add 2 drops of yellow coloring.
9. The second bowl: add at about 10 teaspoons of the red win mixture and 3 drops of red coloring.
10. Grease a baking tray with butter and put some flour on it. Pour in the mixtures as you like.
11. Put it into the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes.
12. Put a bit of lemon soda in the leftover of the red wine mixture. Once cooled down a bit, carefully pour over a bit of the mixture on top. Let it soak into the cake before serving it.